By Kevin Hendricks, The Paper.

District 2 has a vacancy on the horizon. Councilor Jeremy Lenentine announced Aug. 19 he’s resigning for family considerations, with his last day in office set for Nov. 12 — handing Mayor Paul Wymer the job of finding a replacement under the same fast-track process that seated Councilor David Mann this summer.

Lenentine was first appointed to the District 2 seat in April 2019 and won election to it three times since, most recently in March 2026. “I do not take lightly the trust that has been placed on me by the citizens of my district,” he said in a statement, thanking constituents and city staff. Wymer said he’d valued Lenentine’s leadership over the past six years and wished him well.

Under the city charter, Wymer now has 60 days to name a successor, who then needs Governing Body confirmation — the same process that produced a 4-2 vote seating Mann in District 4 last month. Lenentine was one of two councilors who voted against confirming Mann, citing potential conflicts between council duty and Mann’s day job as general counsel for Rio Rancho Public Schools.

More details:

  • The appointee will serve until the March 2028 municipal election
  • The District 2 seat will appear on that ballot as a two-year term before returning to its regular four-year cycle
  • Wymer’s office says it will soon post the process and timeline for District 2 residents interested in the appointment

Kevin Hendricks is an editor with nm.news where he oversees Sandoval County newsrooms. A native of Southeast ABQ, he reported for the ABQ Journal and Rio Rancho Observer before joining nm.news in 2024.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply